Monday, December 8, 2014

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

This poem is interesting to me because I can also be a very indecisive person. I am no where near as bad as he is, but I know how it feels to be down to the last minute and trying to make a decision, even a decision that is by no means life-changing. The decision can be as simple as which phone case I want or what I want to have for dinner, yet it takes so long to make the decision. Time is constantly ticking in this poem and Prufrock is running out of time to change his indecisiveness to confidence. Prufrock is letting the time pass, when he really doesn't have that much time left if he wishes to make a big change to his life. My indecisiveness is very different from Prufrock's. I can decide the big things that I want to do in life or life-changing decisions, but when it comes to the small things that really mean nothing, I can never make the decision which should be quick and easy. The allusion to Hamlet is important because Hamlet and Prufrock both hold this hesitancy and lack of confidence. The difference is that Hamlet overcomes this and follows through, but Prufrock never does as far as the poem goes. Elliot uses a lot of allusions and repetition in this poem that help the reader understand Prufrock's state of mind. This poem is a very interesting poem that I can personally relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment