Sunday, August 17, 2014

1987 AP Test

1.e~
2.d~
3.c
4.a~
5.e~
6.c~
7.d~
8.b
9.b~
10.e~
11.b~
12.b
13.b
14.c
15.e~
5,6,7, 9, 10 were difficult for me because I could not narrow it down at all. I felt I didn't understand which answers would fit with the essay. The other problems that I missed in this section was I had it between two answers and I chose the wrong one of course.
16.a~
17.c
18.d~
19.b~
20.a~
21.d~
22.a~
23.b~
24.d~
25.c
26.e
27.b~
28.d~
29.a
30.a~
31.b~
32.a~
16,18,19, 22,and 32 I struggled on because I didn't understand some of the vocabulary, which led me to give the answer of what I could understand.
On most of the other ones that I got wrong I had the answer and what I chose as my top two and I again chose the wrong answer, Extremely frustrating!!!!
47.b
48.e~
49.c
50.c~
51.b~
52.d~
53.a~
54.b
55.d~
56.b
57.d~
58.d
59.c~
60.d~
61.e~
55 and 61 I did not understand vocabulary or need help in terms of grammar. 60 I did not understand how Sara felt and couldn't tell where I would find that.
The other ones were mainly of misunderstanding or unclearness, but there was some where again it was the answer and my choice and I chose the wrong one.

Essays; Prewrite
1.  My intro paragraph would consist of a these describing three elements the author used and explain how the author did not accept the arising view of the "Old Leisure". I would then go into detail about how she felt about leisure within the time period, as the train system was arising.
I would probably use two body paragraphs one explaining how she used anaphora's in the first paragraph, repeating the first word for significance. Then I would explain how she personified "Old Leisure" in order to describe him in a more understandable manner. Finally I would talk of irony, because through the entire work she is judging him and showing her view on "him", but at the end she explains how "he" shouldn't be judged harshly.
The second body paragraph I would go into more depth about how the author feels about this leisure using specific examples and quotes. I would then talk about the authors view on how leisure comes into play during this time period and how she feels about it, which seems bitter.
Finally, I would conclude my thoughts and compare her views with the change of leisure.
2. For this essay I would choose The Grapes of Wrath. I would start my essay explaining how the social and political traditions change because the family is forced to up and move to look for work because they are struggling financially. I would then explain how the other does this through specific techniques.
My first body paragraph would first explain the societal and political changes. When they moved to California how the cops would treat them poorly just because they had come from another state. Or how the white people were supposed to be so kind and willing to give them jobs, but really were corrupt and disrespectful.
My last body paragraph would be the techniques used to convey the story. The author used an anecdote about a turtle to foreshadow what the entire journey of the family would be about. The author used important characterization of the mother and father in order to show the difficulties along the journey due to the personalities.
My final paragraph would explain how the family went through many obstacles and transitions with trying to adapt to new attitudes. I would then explain how they worked to overcome them which was why the story was so important and valued.

1 comment:

  1. You seem to have a good handle on the reading for your first essay, thoughts were well organized. I liked how you didn't describe the obvious literary devices but rather used less known ones such as anaphora. Your identification of irony also shows your deep understanding of connecting the story beginning to end. Overall, well developed.
    Your second essay was also very well organized. The only thing I would say to work on is your intro. It is rather predictable that you would explain the social/political traditions as well as lit techniques to support it. Add a little spice to it! Also, although the separation of one body paragraph for social/political changes and one body paragraph for lit terms shows organization, try to incorporate both and see how that works. I thought your concluding thoughts were put together well and I liked your specific examples.
    Excellent job Courtney! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete