Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Poetry #1

1. This commercial borrows the poem "The Laughing Heart" by Charles Bukowski without credit.
2. The use of this poem seems ironic because the poem is telling you to be yourself and do what your mind tells you to do, while the commercial is trying to persuade you to buy something. The commercial uses a poem that tells you to choose what you want and decide things for yourself, while they are trying to decide for you on what you should buy.
3. This poem reflects Charles Bukowski because he was an author that wrote extremely truthful and with no regrets. He knew he had freedom to talk about whatever he wanted, whether that be sex, drugs, or alcohol. He was not afraid to express what he wanted in the truest way possible which is the main point of this poem. The poem encourages the reader to be free and put your true self out there. He did this by talking about American society and what life was like. He used experience and his perspective to create this poem, which in itself is telling the reader to do. One website noted that he wrote "with no apologies to the frayed side of society," meaning he said what he wanted whether it offended someone or motivated them. This poem truly depicts who Charles was as a person.
4. I found my answer to number 1 by typing the title of the commercial into the Google search engine. I looked through the links and found only the other so I changed the wording to the author and part of the poem in which I found this link.
http://milan-poetry.blogspot.com/2007/03/laughing-heart-charles-bukowski.html
This is where I got the title.
I answered number three by first entering just the author's name in the Google search engine, but wasn't please with my results. So I entered Charles Bukowski's biography and found a link that seemed to be very helpful which was...
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/charles-bukowski
I used many facts from here to conform my answer.
I always use the Google search engine; I believe it is the one that remembers your history.

No comments:

Post a Comment