Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Reflection on the novel

I have read about 170 pages now and can't determine if I like the book or find it weird. When reading the book, I understand the plot and most of what is going on, but have a hard time understanding what some of the characters are saying at times and what exactly is happening. I get the overall gist of things, but cannot understand the specific things at times. I don't know if the book seems boring to me because I already know what is going to happen and am just waiting for it to unravel or if the book is really just not an attention grabber to me. When I read stories, I really like to connect to the characters and put myself in their shoes and their lives. In most books that is quite easy to do, but in this book it has been very difficult. I believe that is the reason why I am having a hard time really getting into the book. I have never known what it is like to be illiterate nor rich, so it is hard to connect to how Pip is feeling. The language is hard to understand because most of the characters are illiterate, but then there is a transition to scholarly vocabulary when Dickens is writing or when the rich and intelligent are speaking. This may be why it is hard to follow because it bounces back and forth. I still enjoy the story, but hope to be more enthralled in it as the story develops more and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment